Think you can’t enjoy the taste of delicious mashed potatoes while remaining on your healthy diet – think again. Use this recipe instead of the butter-laden mashed potatoes mom always made. Your waistline will thank you for it.
- cauliflower, one large head
- 1/4 cup fat-free cream or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- If you have low carb “instant mashed potatoes” (Dixie Carb Counters Instant Mashers), add up to 1/4 cup to improve texture.
- Minced garlic (a clove or two); garlic powder (1/2 to 1 teaspoon)
- Shredded, reduced-fat cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup
- 2-3 slices of turkey bacon, cooked and chopped into bacon bits
- skins only of 3 red potatoes, chopped
Chop up cauliflower. Cook or steam under tender, a fork should easily pierce it. Drain well. Add ingredients in a food processor (except cauliflower, cheese, bacon, and potato skins) and mix, slowly adding cauliflower a few pieces at a time to blender. Puree until the consistency of mashed potatoes. Pour into a serving bowl and blend in cheese, bacon bits, and potato skins.