If you are a fan of eggplant, then you have to try this healthy eggplant parmesan recipe. It makes a great comfort food that feels like you are getting a giant hug. It’s a favorite among vegetarians and non-vegetarians as the eggplant is hearty and meaty enough to take place as real protein. Eggplant parmesan is one of those great Italian comfort foods—a layered casserole much like lasagna but with slices of globe eggplant taking the place of pasta.
Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2″ round sliced and sliced down the middle
- 2 cup tomatoes, diced or 2 cans diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 2 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Bunch of fresh Basil, shredded
- A sprinkle of parmesan cheese or crushed red pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the sliced eggplant in a colander and sprinkle with salt.
- While the eggplant is “sweating”, heat a medium skillet with oil and cook onion and diced tomatoes with a few sprigs of shredded basil. Reduce heat to a simmer and let sit.
- Lightly coat the bottom of a baking sheet with oil and line the eggplant. Lightly brush the eggplant with oil. Bake for 20-25 min, turning twice.
- Spray the square baking pan with PAM, layer sauce, eggplant, cheese, sauce, eggplant, cheese. Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Top with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and basil to taste. Enjoy!
Makes 4 Servings: 10 Vegetables, 4 protein