Nachos are always a favorite dish but hard to eat when you’re trying to eat low-carb, healthy or trying to lose weight. Satisfy your nacho craving with this healthy pepper and chicken nachos recipe. They are completely delicious and help you eat more veggies and a healthier alternative to regular nachos.
Healthy Pepper and Chicken Nachos Recipe
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 c cidar vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 c chopped deli-roasted chicken, shredded
- 8 oz Cabot 75% sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 10 yellow, orange or red peppers; seeded, cut into halves
- 1/3 c olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 2 c steamed edamame
- 1-3 c loosely packed cilantro
- Preheat grill to 350 to 400 degrees. Combine garlic, vinegar, olive oil, cumin, salt and pepper to make marinade. Reserve 3 tbsp garlic mixture. Cover and chill 15 minutes, turning once. Remove peppers from marinade, reserving marinade for basting.
- Grill peppers, covered with grill lid – 8 to 10 minutes or until peppers blister and are tender, turning occasionally and basting with marinade.
- Preheat broiler with over rack 4 inches from heat. Combine chicken and edamame with reserved garlic mixture. Place peppers in a single layer on a lightly greased aluminum foil lined broil pan.
- Top each pepper half with chicken mixture and top with 1/2 oz of cheese. Broil for 4-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve immediately.
Servings: protein 1.3 and carbohydrate 1/8 per pepper half.