Tired of eating the same old boxed cereal, egg whites or dried toast for breakfast? Switch it up with these delectable and healthy Breakfast Quiches. For those following the Zone diet, this recipe makes two 3-block breakfast quiches.
- 2 whole eggs
- 4 egg whites (or substitute 1 cup egg white and 1 whole egg)
- 2 oz. skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cups portabella or button mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 3/4 cup tomato, chopped
- 6 macadamia nuts, crushed
- basil, to taste
- parsley, to taste
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 apples, sprinkled with cinnamon
Use non-stick mini bread loaf pans or coat each with a small amount of vegetable spray. Layer vegetables in two mini bread loaf pans. Layer half of the cheese on top of each loaf. Beat eggs and add seasonings. Pour one half of the eggs over each pan and sprinkle with macadamia nuts. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until brown on top.
Note: For those following the Zone diet , this recipe makes two mini quiches, each with 3 blocks of protein, 3 blocks of fat and 1 block of carbohydrates. Eat one with an apple and cinnamon for a complete 3 block breakfast.